- Put all of the ingredients in a large bowl and then mix thoroughly until evenly combined.
- Butter a 1.1 litre (2 pint) pudding basin and spoon in the mixture
- Fold a pleat in a large piece of greaseproof paper and foil, then place paper side down on top of the pudding basin and tie string around the rim of the basin to secure
- Pace in a large saucepan or pressure cooker
- To steam: Pour boiling water into the pan until it comes halfway up the pudding basin. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently for 4-5 hours if cooking ahead of time, 5-6 hours if cooking on Christmas morning. To reheat, steam for 1 hour.