These recommendations are dependent upon appetite, age & leftovers you require!
Whole turkey 1/2 kg per person
Turkey crown 1/3 kg per person
Turkey breast 1/4 kg per person
If you are unsure we recommend you speak to a Thorner’s butcher about the best sized bird.
Stuffing the Turkey
- Fill the neck cavity between the flesh and skin, tuck the neck flap under the bird’s back and secure it with a small skewer.
- Make sure you weigh your turkey with the stuffing to calculate the cooking time.
- Spread softened butter all over the bird and season with salt and pepper, before covering with foil. You can also cover in belly pork to add even more flavour. *All our whole turkeys come with the giblets inside, you will need to remove these prior to cooking.
- These are cooking times for Whole Turkeys. Please see 3 Bird Roasts for cooking boneless joints.
- Preheat your oven to 230°C/450°F/ Gas 8. Place the turkey in a large roasting tin breast side down – this keeps the breast meat succulent while the brown meat cooks evenly.
- Cook at the preheated temperature for the first 30 minutes, after this reduce the oven temperature to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5.
- For a turkey over 4kg the cooking time is 20 minutes per kg plus 90 minutes and for a turkey under 4kg it is 20 minutes per kg plus 70 minutes.
- About half an hour before the full cooking time, remove the foil and carefully turn the turkey over to brown the breast.
- When cooked, pierce the thickest part of the leg with a skewer and press against the leg to see if the juices run clear without any traces of pink. If the juices are clear, the turkey is cooked. If using a thermometer, the internal cooked temperature will be 165°F/74°C.
- Cover the turkey loosely with foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes before serving.