- Pre heat your oven to 180c/160c fan or Gas Mark 4
- Toss the lamb chunks in the flour covering each piece well. Add oil to your oven proof casserole dish and batch cook until all the lamb has been browned off. Do not overfill your pan as this will broil your meat not sear it, which will take about 5 minutes per batch. Place the lamb on some kitchen towel to drain off any excess oil. You may need to add a little extra oil between batches.
- In the same dish add the onions, celery and carrots then fry for about 5 minutes, add the herbs, then add the lamb. Pour over stock and bring to the boil.
- Take your dish off the heat and arrange the potatoes on top of the lamb and vegetables, as evenly placed as possible, seasoning with salt and pepper as you layer up. Press firm enough so that the stock covers them.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1.5-2 hours. Once happy that the lamb is soft by inserting a knife with no resistance, then place back in the oven without the lid for a further 10 minutes - add a few cubes of butter for an extra crispy topping!
- Don’t forget to take out the bay leaf and serve with some wilted green cabbage on the side. *For a vegetarian option, the lamb can be replaced with butternut squash, reducing the cooking time to 1-1.5 hours